An experienced, thorough and conscientious attorney, Jim concentrates his practice in the areas of health care, business and governmental transactions. He is a trusted advisor and always makes his clients feel comfortable that their legal matters are in the right hands. Jim is the former chair of the Business Transactions Group and the Health Law Group at MacDonald Illig.
Jim advises hospitals, clinics, physician group practices and individual physicians and dentists on matters such as physician and hospital agreements, employment contracts, compensation and incentive arrangements, and group practice formation and governance. He advises health care providers on federal and state regulatory compliance, including anti-kickback, physician self-referral and HIPAA matters, and he has substantial experience representing hospitals and physicians in peer review, medical staff credentialing, disciplinary and fair hearing matters.
Jim also counsels businesses, non-profit organizations and public agencies on a wide variety of transactional matters involving business law, contracting, municipal finance and real estate development. He regularly acts as bond counsel, issuer's counsel and underwriter's counsel in municipal finance transactions.
He has provided legal representation to the Erie County Convention Center Authority in connection with the Authority’s development of the Bayfront Convention Center and the related Sheraton and Marriott host hotels. His involvement in these projects included real estate acquisition matters, leasing transactions, zoning issues, project contracting, and financing and grant transactions.
Jim is listed in the Bond Buyers Municipal Market Place Guide® (commonly known as the municipal bond attorneys' Red Book). He has served as chairman of the Business and Commercial Law Section of the Erie County Bar Association and was active as a member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association's Drafting Committee on Third Party Legal Opinions.
- Special counsel to the Erie County Convention Center Authority
- Chair, Finance Work Group for RETHINK ERIE, the community college initiative for northwestern Pennsylvania
- Rated by Martindale Hubbell for 25 years as "AV Preeminent," the highest peer review rating for legal ability and ethical standards
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America® for Health Care Law in 2019
Education & Admissions
Memberships & Associations
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Erie County Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- National Association Bond Lawyers