Committed to serving others, Jay is a tireless advocate for his clients and his community. Known for his collegial manner and practical approach to complex transactions, Jay strives to be candid yet civil, and meticulous yet reasonable.
A trusted advisor to business organizations and non-profit institutions in Erie and beyond, Jay concentrates his practice in the areas of real estate, commercial and economic development, and conventional and tax-exempt financing. He provides legal advice and services to individuals, business entities, lending institutions, municipal authorities, and economic development agencies. Jay handles matters ranging from residential real estate transactions to detailed title and development issues. He also provides representation in commercial financings and tax-exempt municipal, industrial development, and 501(c)(3) bond issues.
A stalwart supporter of social, educational, and cultural advancement, Jay has held leadership positions in numerous civic and non-profit organizations.
Co-Chair of the firm's Real Estate Practice Group, Jay has been included in The Best Lawyers in America© for real estate law since 2018.
- Selected for inclusion in the publication The Best Lawyers in America© for Real Estate Law (2018 - Present)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association Pro Bono Services Award Recipient (1987 - 1988)
- Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network Excellence Award Recipient, 2008
- Erie County Bar Association President's Award Recipient, 2012
- Catholic Charities Helping Hands Award Recipient, 2014
- Gannon University Distinguished Alumni Award, 2016
- Listed in the Bond Buyers Municipal Market Place Guide® as nationally recognized bond counsel
Education & Admissions
Memberships & Associations
- Erie County Bar Association, Board of Directors 2006-2011; President 2010
- American Bar Association, Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member
- Director, Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network 2013-Present; President 2018-2020
- Director and Past President, Northwestern Legal Services 1981-2013
- Director and Past President, Catholic Charities Counseling and Adoption Services, Inc. 1988-1998
- Director and Past President, Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Erie 1995-2013
- Director and Past President, Housing and Neighborhood Development Services 1999-2008
- Trustee, Mercyhurst Preparatory School 1999-2006; 2014-2020
- Director and Past President, Early Connections, Inc. 2005-2010
- Gannon University, Lecturer in Business Law 1980-1994
- Director and Past Chairman, Erie County Bar Foundation 1991-1994
- Director and Secretary, John Kanzius Cancer Research Foundation 2008-2019
- Director and Past President, ExpERIEnce Children's Museum 2009-2015
- Director, Erie County Historical Society 2012-2015
- Past Director, Perseus House, Inc. and L'Arche of Erie, Inc.
- Director, Erie Land Bank, 2016-2018
- Director, Erie Arts and Culture, 2017-Present
- Director, Redevelopment Authority of the City of Erie, 2018-Present