A dynamic attorney with a proven track record in both litigation and business transactions, Bill consistently delivers success for his clients. He is an Erie native and is known as a charismatic, natural leader who assembles teams with the right talent and experience for each client’s need—and then inspires that team to win.
A partner at MacDonald Illig, Bill is an agile and driven litigator who has successfully prosecuted and defended high-profile, multi-million dollar federal contract awards before the United States Court of Federal Claims, the Government Accountability Office (GAO), the federal Boards of Contract Appeals, and in various state courts.
In business transactions, Bill is a forward-thinker who helps his clients close deals that grow revenue while mitigating risk and protecting the brand. He counsels his clients on contract formation and disputes, corporate compliance, business acquisitions, internal and external investigations, and various export control and international trade matters, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), and the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS).
In January 2022, Bill was appointed as the Solicitor for Erie County and currently serves the County in that role.
Prior to joining MacDonald Illig, Bill practiced law in the Washington, DC offices of the Fried Frank law firm and Arnold & Porter LLP, and was a professor in the legal writing department at GW Law School. He then worked as a senior in-house counsel at a global Fortune 250 human capital management company.
Before his law career, Bill served as an officer and pilot in the U.S. Air Force. He is a decorated veteran of several combat and humanitarian operations, including the Kosovo Campaign and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Recognized by Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for his work in administrative and regulatory law (2021-present)
Education & Admissions
Memberships & Associations
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Erie County Bar Association
- President, 2024
- Board of Directors, 2019-Present
- American Inn of Court, Northwest Pennsylvania Chapter
- CLE Program Chair, 2017-2018
- Board of Directors, Erie Regional Chamber and Growth Partnership
- Executive Committee, 2023-Present
- Secretary and Chair of Governance Committee, 2023-Present
- Board of Directors, Do Good, Inc.
- President and Chair of the Board, 2020-Present
- St. Jude School Athletic Programs
- Director of Athletics, 2020-2021
- Member, Athletic Board, 2018-Present
- Head Coach, Swim Team, 2017-Present
- Board of Trustees, Villa Maria Elementary School, 2015-2018