Mark always ensures that his clients know they are his top priority, and that he is always at their side whenever they are in need. Practicing in the areas of environmental litigation, municipal law, and complex commercial litigation, he strives to provide exceptional and prompt service and works to ensure his clients avoid unnecessary legal problems. Mark is proud of the personal attention, guidance, and responsiveness he provides to each and every client. His clients often joke about his midnight emails!
Mark is chair of MacDonald Illig's Government Services & Public Finance Group. Mark maintains an extensive practice in all aspects of municipal law, including the solicitorship of one of Pennsylvania’s largest second-class townships. As solicitor, he has assisted in creating and participating in a Fire Commission designed to address the funding and staffing challenges experienced by the municipality's volunteer fire departments; as well as guided the municipality's take-over of its sewer authority.
Mark is past chair of MacDonald Illig’s Environmental Group. He has been involved in several USEPA-led investigations of clients under the Clean Air Act and the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act. As environmental counsel, Mark has been head of a PRP group at a Superfund Site that was converted into a municipal golf course and oversaw the demolition of a 100-year old foundry that was converted to an athletic sports complex for a local private high school.
Mark also handles complex commercial litigation cases in the federal and state courts, ranging from claims of pesticide damage to crops to water rate challenges to large breach of contract claims. Mark has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for environmental law and environmental litigation since 2010.
He values giving of his time and talent to a variety of community groups, including the United Way of Erie County, the Asbury Woods Partnership and the Millcreek Township School District.
- Selected for inclusion in the publication The Best Lawyers in America© for Environmental Law and Environmental Litigation (2010 - Present)
- 2018 Outstanding Volunteer Fundraiser Award - AFP Northwestern PA Chapter
- Knight of Saint Patrick, for service to church and community
- Regular speaker at seminars sponsored by Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors
Education & Admissions
Memberships & Associations
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Erie County Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association Environmental and Energy Law Section - Board Member
- Northwest Pennsylvania Chapter of the Air & Waste Management Association - Past President
- United Way of Erie County, Board of Directors
- United Way of Erie County, Chair of Executive Compensation & Review Committee
- United Way of Erie County, Leadership Giving Committee
- Past President of the Board of Directors, Asbury Woods Partnership
- Asbury Woods Capital Campaign Chair (raised >$5 million)
- Member, Millcreek Township School District Citizen Advisory Committee
- Past Chairman of the Erie Irish Festival (2000 - 2012)
- Asbury Woods Estates Homeowners Association - Past Vice-President and Treasurer