The legal requirements of educational institutions are many and diverse, including business and financial affairs, corporate governance, human resources, student and faculty rights and discipline, and regulatory compliance.
MacDonald Illig’s Education Practice Group has extensive experience in serving the many legal needs of our university, public school, private school, charter school, and other educational service provider clients. Our depth and breadth of knowledge in the legal matters affecting educational institutions well equips MacDonald Illig to provide our clients with practical advice, trusted counsel, and zealous advocacy.Related Services
Providing a Full Range of Education Law Services
Our clients rely upon MacDonald Illig’s Education Practice Group for a broad range of education-related legal services, including:
- All aspects of compliance, including Title IX, Clery Act, Higher Educational Opportunity Act, Pennsylvania Public School Code, Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, and Children’s Internet Protection Act
- Risk management policies and procedures
- Collective bargaining agreements, employee grievances, and arbitrations
- Issues related to student conduct, student rights, and student organizations
- Employee discipline, hiring, firing, background checks, tenure decisions, and academic freedom
- Discrimination, harassment, and sexual misconduct claims
- Tax-exempt status, planned giving programs, gift agreements, creation of endowments and foundations, and Local Economic Revitalization Tax Assistance (LERTA)
- Employee benefits, retirement plans, and deferred compensation
- Public finance and real estate acquisition and development
- Employee and supervisor training
- Internal investigations, auditing, and assessments
- Dispute resolution, including mediation, arbitration, and litigation
MacDonald Illig understands that the legal issues faced by educational institutions extend beyond those peculiar to education providers. As a full service law firm with a team approach to serving our clients, we are able to provide legal representation to our education clients in related areas including Labor & Employment, Litigation, Business Transactions, Environmental, Tax Planning & Representation, Real Estate, Construction, Environmental & Energy, Charitable & Nonprofit Organizations, Intellectual Property & Technology, Health Care, Workers’ Compensation, and Government Services.
The Bench Strength to Deliver
Combining a depth of resources with uncommon experience, our Education lawyers work together with you, our clients, to provide real world solutions to all of your education law needs. You can expect more from MacDonald Illig.