MacDonald Illig's Tax Group is experienced in virtually all facets of federal and state tax matters. We provide companies and individual taxpayers with sophisticated tax planning services, as well as in-depth counsel and guidance throughout business transactions, tax controversies, and other tax matters.
We strive to help clients remain fully compliant while also keeping them abreast of new legislation and other changes in the law. Our attorneys take a proactive approach that is designed to help clients avoid unanticipated tax consequences that might be detrimental to their businesses or personal situations. Our goal with any tax matter is to find an overall solution that is consistent with our clients' objectives while maximizing tax savings and minimizing tax consequences.
Our Tax Group’s capabilities include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
- Counseling clients regarding choice of entity and ownership structure, including formation of corporations, partnerships, and limited liability companies (LLCs)
- Providing tax advice during mergers, acquisitions, restructurings, reorganizations, asset sales, and other business transactions
- Designing and implementing estate, trust, and business succession plans, including the use of limited liability entities, grantor retained trusts, private foundations, and charitable trusts
- Providing tax services in connection with estate and trust administration, including the preparation of estate, inheritance, gift, and fiduciary tax returns
- Advising on a wide range of employee benefits issues covering ERISA, qualified and non-qualified retirement plans, executive compensation matters, stock options, and employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs)
- Providing comprehensive services for tax-exempt entities
- Assisting with state and local tax matters, including sales and use, corporate income, franchise, real and personal property, and personal income tax questions; and
- Resolving disputes with federal, state, and local taxing authorities, including representing clients in the United States Tax Court
Many of the attorneys in MacDonald Illig’s Tax Group are also members of or work closely with the firm’s other business and litigation departments, including the Bankruptcy & Creditors' Rights, Business Transactions, Commercial Litigation, Trusts & Estates, Family Law, and Real Estate groups. We are proud of our outstanding reputation within and beyond Northwestern Pennsylvania, and look forward to serving your tax needs. If we might be of service to you, please do not hesitate to contact us.